NT4 Service Startup Error (bad)...
Len Paryl
2003-07-07 02:27:12 UTC
The computer I am using is an IBM ThinkPad 600 running
Windows NT4 SP6a. This is a used computer (prior owner)
and consequently was originally setup just for remote
access to an NT Server (domain).

I need to add this Laptop to a Peer-to-Peer Workgroup
where all other computers (6 PC's) are running Win98SE.

The problem I need help with didn't exist until I tried
(unsuccessfully) to Install a Linksys 10/100 LAN PC-Card
to add the ThinkPad Laptop to the Workgroup.

After I Disabled the Remote Wan driver & Uninstalled the
"CardWizard" (it didn't work for me) the Linksys LAN Card
was finally notices by the Laptop. But the Laptop still
couldn't see or ping any Workgroup PCs. So I Uninstalled
the Linksys LAN PC-Card and wanted to start over but
started to receive the following Error:

"Service Control Manager"

"At least one service or driver failed during system
startup. Use Event Viewer to examine the event log for
details."

The above message appears shortly after the "Begin Logon"
dialog box is displayed. After Logon the Event Log showed
a large list of System Service Errors:

Service Control Manager (Event 7023)
==>> The system cannot find the file specified (none shown)
Remote Access (Event 20029)
==>> Connection Manager failed to start because NDISWAN
could not be opened. Reinstall the Remote Access Service.
Service Control Manager (Event 7001)
==>> The Messenger depends on the Workstation service which
failed to start (no error code given).
Service Control Manager (Event 7002)
==>> The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service depends on the
Network Provider group and no member of this group
started.
Service Control Manager (Event 7001)
==>> The Conmputer Browser service depends on the Server
service which failed to start because a device attached
to the system is not functioning.
Service Control Manager (Event 7001)
==>> The Workstation service terminated with service-
specific error 5728.
Workstation (Event 5728)
==>> Coould not load any Transport.
Service Control Manager (Event 7023)
..
Dltport (Event 4)
..
Dltport (Event 4)
..
Service Control Manager (Event 7001)
..
Service Control Manager (Event 7000)
..
Service Control Manager (Event 7000)
..
EventLOg (Event 6005)
..
EventLog (Event 6009)
..
NetBT (Event 4315)
..

As you can see from the above list I think I really
messed things up trying to Install the Linksys 10/100 LAN
PC-Card.

Is there any hope? Can this horrific problem be fixed?
Any any will be more than appreciated. Thank you.

NOTE: the previous owner lost the original NT4 CD so the
only CD I have is NT4 Service Pack 6a (Help!!!!).

Len
Dave Patrick
2003-07-08 03:57:21 UTC
You might try starting over;
Control Panel|Network|Services|Remote Access Service|Remove
Control Panel|Network|Services|Server|Remove
Control Panel|Network|Services|Workstation|Remove

Use the steps in this article to remove the tcp/ip stack.

Error Message When Installing TCP/IP or Adding TCP/IP Service
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q151237

Then after restart, check that you're error free in Event Viewer, then

You'll need some card service running in order for Windows NT to be able to
find any device plugged into the slots. Reinstall the driver for your NIC
card device using the manufacturer's specific instructions for Windows NT.
Then;
Control Panel|Network|Services|Add|Workstation
Control Panel|Network|Protocols|Add|TCP/IP
Control Panel|Network|Services|Add|Server

Reapply the current service pack.
--
Regards,

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]